Organic groups enables users with permissions to create and manage their own groups. Community members often want to self organize or spontaneously organize around a topic of interest. Allowing communities to organize naturally is important part of a healthy community.
An organic group is created by a single group owner, who has special permissions including the ability to delete the group the owner created. Group admistrators also have special permissions but can not delete the group unless they are assigned to be the group owner. Group subscribers communicate amongst themselves using the group home page as a focal point. They do so by posting the usual content types: blog, story, page, etc. A block is shown on the group home page that links to these group specific posts and actions. The block also provides summary information about the group.
Groups may be selective or not. Selective groups require approval by the group administrator in order to become a member. Organic groups also support private groups which will not be displayed in a list of organic groups. You cannot use this module with other node access modules.
* enable organic group creation and administration permissions at administer >> access.
* create organic groups at create content >> group.
* view a list of organic groups at groups.
* administer organic group at administer >> settings >> og.
* disable commenting and attachments for nodes of type group at administer >> content >> configure >> content types >> group.
* enable group details block, group subscriber block, new groups block, and my groups block at administer >> block.
* subscribe to groups by selecting the subscribe link in the group block.
* create content, invite friends, manage subscriptions, view list of subscribers, and see the group administrator in the group block.
* enable images in the group details block if you have the image module installed.
* file issues, read about known bugs, and download the latest version on the Organic Groups project page.